Friday, August 03, 2007

The Freedom of Fellowship with the Holy Spirit

I have been prayed for more revelation about how to live undistracted and unworried (or focused and joyful). I tend to assume that if I am to live undistracted from the cares and pleasures of this life (Luke 8:14), then I need to avoid anything that might fit into the categories of "cares" or "pleasures." As cares and responsibilities are not completely avoidable, I have been a little more realistic about that. But as far as pleasures … what then? Should I avoid all books and movies and games and fellowship with others, unless it is directly related to seeking God? But then I heard the Holy Spirit whisper these words to my heart:

With Me.

Suddenly I recognized the sacred/secular division that I impose on recreation. I consider Bible reading, praying, worshiping, etc., as holy, but reading fiction, watching movies (with a very few exceptions) and playing board games as unholy. And so I have felt somewhat guilty about enjoying something as lighthearted as The Island of Heavenly Daze by Lori Copeland and Angela Hunt. At the same time, I have begun to feel weighted down by too much seriousness and in need of more laughter. After all, the God who created the stars also made puppies. I know that He have a fun side as well as a glorious side, and that He made me to enjoy both.

With Me.

So if having fun is okay, then why do I feel guilty sometimes when I schedule a game night or watch Singing in the Rain with my husband, wondering if I am sinning by wasting my time?

When I read the Bible, my heart and mind are open to God. But when I read a novel, I tend to close them off from Him. And so, when I lay the book down, it feels as though fellowship with the Holy Spirit was broken during that time. Because of that, I feel the need to repent to restore relationship. Then I am confused, because I wonder whether the activity was dishonoring to Him.

With Me.

With that one phrase, I finally understand what dishonors Him. It is not primarily what I am doing, but the focus of my heart. If I am reading the book with a rebellious spirit (closed heart), then I am disobeying God. But the very same activity may be received with thankfulness if done with a clear conscience (a heart open to Him).

That makes some truths amazingly clear. First, that God can (and wants to) speak to me through everything! He wants to be involved in every little thing I am doing, even the fun things. God can speak to my heart through a novel or movie or friend, not just through His Word. Those activities don’t have to be a distraction if I am continuing to fellowship with His Spirit while engaging in them.

Second, if I honestly keep my heart in open fellowship with the Holy Spirit, then I will not be able to engage in activities which dishonor Him. If I do, then the fellowship will immediately be broken. What fellowship has light with darkness? What an amazing way to be sensitive to the leading of His Spirit! I simply keep my heart and mind in continual fellowship with God, become aware of what breaks that connection, and then discontinue whatever that is. If I am reading a book that causes my spirit to withdraw from God's presence, then I stop reading it. If I am watching a movie and become aware that my heart is no longer open to Him, then I stop watching it. It is so simple. No long list of rules. Just a living, in-the-moment relationship with God.

With Me.

Lord, please help me to live every moment with my heart open to You. Please give me the ability to be with You today in every moment. When I withdraw, bring me back. Teach me to fellowship with Your Spirit in everything I do. I love You, Abba.

No comments: