Monday, March 09, 2009

What Really Matters

Yesterday I had one of those kinds of experiences that makes you reflect on life. I visited a friend who is in prison. It was an intense, emotional time. Today I am in a sort of limbo. Grieving for my friend and the hardship she is going through, and constantly lifting her up in prayer, while trying to resume my normal life.

I don't have major goals for the day. Just caring for my children and my home. It would be easier if I could distract myself with a busy day. I would be able to ignore the ache inside, or at least try to fill it with a new purchase or a fun experience.

But now, sitting outside in the sun, swinging my one-year-old and blowing bubbles with my three-year-old, I feel peace. No, the world isn't fair. Yes, I long for Jesus to return and make things right. My friend is still clinging desperately to God in the midst of trials far greater than I can comprehend. But yesterday I did what mattered. Today I can do the same. In simplicity of this moment, I can love.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Thank you. That simple wisdom is good.