Last night at The Rock of Roseville, Pastor Steve Gregor preached an impacting sermon about middle-class Christianity and how far short it falls from the lifestyle that Jesus preached. One part that particularly struck me was his encouragement to simplify our lives so that we can allocate more resources to the Kingdom of God. As he reminded us, "... to whom much is given, from him much will be required" (Luke 12:48, NKJV).
So the question I am asking is, how can I further simplify my life? Being among the richest people in the world (the American middle class), how can I use what I have been given to further God's kingdom instead of merely using it to make my life more luxurious? I tremble at these words:
"In the measure that she glorified herself and lived luxuriously, in the same measure give her torment and sorrow ..." (Revelation 18:7).
This is not a new question to me. In fact, it was the major question in Paul and my hearts a few years ago when the Lord led us to sell our house, close our failing business, pay off our debts, and move into a less expensive rental. We also committed at that time to live with less "stuff" (something we are still working on living out), to make our cars last as long as possible, and to ask the Lord for direction in every financial decision. Then, about a year ago, we felt the invitation to go even further, stepping out in faith to adopt our daughter, Alana.
Yet, looking at our lifestyle, though we have simplified from where we were three years ago, I sense that there is more "fat" to trim. Jesus says, "When you give a dinner or a supper, do not ask your friends, your brothers, your relatives, nor rich neighbors, lest they also invite you back, and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind" (Luke 14:12-14). Yet, in September we will be involved in several events that include our friends and family but none that include the poor, the maimed, the lame, or the blind. How do we apply this?
Does you have any ideas that have helped you to live your life more simply?
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment