Sing aloud to God our Strength! Shout for joy to the God of Jacob! (Psalm 81:1).
Me? Rejoice in triumph? Shout for joy? That's just about the last thing I feel like doing. I feel so discouraged and out of sorts … anything but joyful and triumphant. I guess I don’t have to feel triumphant in order to shout joyfully. I will obey in faith, even though it’s the opposite of how I feel. For You, Lord, are my strength, the life of my body and spirit, my security, the only One who is majestic and worthy of praise. I will blow an alarm and make a joyful noise to You, my God.
(This reminded me of the shofar my mom got from Israel many years ago. How she used to annoy and fascinate me by blowing it and shouting to God when I still lived in my parents' house! A bit sheepishly, I borrowed it from her. After all, as I discovered with a little research on e-Sword, the word used in Ps. 81:1 for "shout for joy" literally means to "blow an alarm" on the shofar.)
I removed his shoulder from the burden; his hands were freed from the basket (81:6).
You called in distress and I delivered you; I answered you in the secret place of thunder; I tested you at the waters of Meribah. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! (81:7).
Lord, I am in distress, and I am calling out to You. Deliver me from the bondage of my sinful nature. You have made me a new person, one who is like You. Help me to walk (or lie down) in Your Spirit, and not in the spirit of the flesh. I am weak, constantly struggling against the path You’ve given me to walk. Free me from a spirit of complaining. You are delivering this baby and me. You are daily providing the help that we need. In the midst of all Your provision, I am still complaining that it’s not enough, just as Israel did at Meribah. Teach me contentment and trust in You. Forgive me for my unbelief. You are answering me. You are enough for me.
I am the Lord your God, Who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide and I will fill it (81:10).
Lord, I will open my mouth to You in praise and adoration. You will feed me with the finest wheat of Your presence; with honey out of the Rock you will satisfy me (81:16). I will be satisfied in You. I will have no other gods before You, not gods of comfort or ease or physical health, not getting my own way, self-sufficiency, pride, or anger. I will embrace humility, gratitude, and joy. Keep pressing me, Lord. Make me sweet wine of Your presence, a fountain of living water flowing to refresh You and those around me. Thank you for the honey of Your Word, coming out of the Rock, Christ Jesus. Satisfy my soul with Your love.
5 comments:
Blow that shofar sweetheart!!! :)
Note that she also used the Amplified Bible for her quotes. :)
Michelle, I totally relate to how you feel about having other people do your work. I have been in the same place and chaffed under it as well. But this is a provision from the Lord to allow you to have a time of being set aside in the secret place to find even more of him. You are digging even deeper wells during this time than you already have. These will be used in the future to sustain you and bring glory to God. I know that you already know all of these things. But I wanted to confirm what you already know so that Satan cannot lie to you and make you miss what God is doing right now and so that you will be strengthened in spirit. You are a reservoir to many people, myself included. So fill up!
For me too!
Mama
I just saw your first line, Christal. Oh YEAH...vindication! I guess all those years I read it to your girls really drew your hearts! :)
Mama
Wow. You two are making my heart full. I love you.
Amplified Bible, shofar ... what crazy mama thing is next?!? :-P
Post a Comment