Last week we read Chapter 19, "The Secret of Meditation" in the book Secrets of the Secret Place by Bob Sorge. This is one of my favorite chapters because I have seen the benefits of meditating on the word in my own life. This is the one method that I have seen God use to break down strongholds and heal hurts in my life more than any other. Meditating causes me to slow down and allow God's word into my heart. It is a discipline that requires me to evaluate what the passage means and how I need to apply it to my life. It causes me to choose truth over the lies that I have believed. As Bob Sorge puts it "The one who meditates on God's word will slowly transform the inner well from which his soul draws."
Some tips from the chapter were: Ask questions from the text - Who is the writer and to whom is he speaking? What does the verse say and why? What does it mean? Does the verse contain a spiritual principle? How does this truth apply to my life? Also take note of: context, word meanings, cross-references, repetition and symbolism. (Further explanations can be found in Chapter 19.)
Here are some resources that I have found very helpful in studying the word.
e-sword.net - free download available of KJV bible with Strong's concordance and search capabilities
blueletterbible.org - online reference with Strong's, multiple translations, cross references etc.
net.bible.org - online reference featuring Net bible translation, multiple translations, cross references etc.
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment